«
»

Photos

Cobra railing no failing

06.14.11 | Comment?

Another wind storm ’11 casualty has been repaired. Holly’s railing, which was poorly anchored and poorly constructed, was destroyed a few weeks ago. It, along with the shed were on a mental ‘to do’ list, to be addressed at some point this year when time and budget allowed for it, but nature decided to move things along. The new railing is a cedar kit we got from Home Depot. It would have been super quick and easy to install, but Holly’s stairs aren’t uniform at all. The kits are designed for a 45° slope, and we had nothing near that. It took some time to figure out, but I managed to make it all work. It’s now twice as sturdy, and a hundred times more attractive.

Unfortunately the kits came with the wrong brackets, and Home Depot didn’t have any of the right ones. Now, to finish the top rail properly, I need to make a mortise in each top rail which will fit over the brackets and allow the top rail to sit flush on the pre-drilled rails. And once Holly gets some post caps, I’ll fire up the chainsaw and Clark W. Griswald the newel posts. Then all I have to do is fix the fence, and possibly build a few sheds for some extra cash. So far two of Holly’s neighbours have asked me to build them similar sheds.

have your say

Add your comment below, or trackback from your own site. Subscribe to these comments.

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

You must be logged in to post a comment.


«
»